CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 19, 2010

No plastic bags day!

No Plastic Bag Day campaign in Miri started on 6th September 2009 when the Miri City Council announced that Sunday is a "No Plastic Bag Day". The campaign being widely spread around town and the participate shopping malls strictly imposed No Plastic Bag to shoppers too. This helped to instill awareness among the society. It is a good going green initiative in helping to save our environment and planet.

This campaign is part of the Miri City Council's Local Agenda 21. These were the poster when the campaign was first introduced.



For year 2010, this campaign has includes Friday and Saturday as No Plastic Bags Day too. It is a 3 days No Plastic Bags Day in Miri now.
Recently, it has been announced that starting from May 2o10, there will be totally No Plastic Bags Day for every day. It will be plasticless when you are shopping at the participate shopping malls or shops.
[Reference: The Miri Resort City]

When this campaign first being introduced, I felt awkward because I am not use to bring my own shopping bags. Within the first few months, I always forget about the campaign and I either left the shop with disappointment by not buying anything after drove all the way to shop or I will end up paid 20 cents for the plastic bag. Whenever this happened, I feel guilty that I do not play my part in helping the environment. In order to ensure that I am aware of the campaign, I keep a reminder in my mobile phone. It is a change in my shopping routine and I am aware of the No Plastic Bags Day campaign too. Now, I always put shopping bags inside my car.

At work, Turn Off Go Green is the initiative in our Go Green Campaign throughout the campus. It just started last week, and everyone is being advised to switch off the light or electricity whenever it is not in use. We need to start somewhere to instill the awareness to save our environment. I hope this campaign will be a success soon.

At home, I switch off the lights and plug off other electrictronic devices when I am not using them.

=========================================

A few quotes on Environment:
The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future. ~Marya Mannes, More in Anger, 1958

And Man created the plastic bag and the tin and aluminum can and the cellophane wrapper and the paper plate, and this was good because Man could then take his automobile and buy all his food in one place and He could save that which was good to eat in the refrigerator and throw away that which had no further use. And soon the earth was covered with plastic bags and aluminum cans and paper plates and disposable bottles and there was nowhere to sit down or walk, and Man shook his head and cried: "Look at this Godawful mess." ~Art Buchwald, 1970

Till now man has been up against Nature; from now on he will be up against his own nature. ~Dennis Gabor, Inventing the Future, 1964

When we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. ~David Orr

Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life's become extinct, the climate's ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day. ~Anton Chekhov, Uncle Vanya, 1897


0 comments: